Make Ahead Vegetable Strata
25 Min. + 50 Min. Bake Time
- 10 slices D’Italiano® Thick Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 3 tsp. canola oil, divided
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 large sweet yellow pepper, thin strips
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until golden brown, 6-8 minutes. Remove from pan and add to the mushrooms.
- Add remaining oil to pan. Add peppers, leek, salt and pepper; cook and stir until leek is tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in sautéed mushrooms and onion.
- In a 13×9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of each of the following: bread cubes, vegetable mixture, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites and milk until blended; pour over layers. Sprinkle with basil.
- Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove vegetable strata from refrigerator while oven heats.
- Bake, covered, 50 minutes. Bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.