Bacon and Butternut Squash Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices D’Italiano® Italian-Style Loaf with Grains
- 2 cups (480ml) butternut squash, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. (2.5ml) fresh sage, finely chopped
- 12 slices bacon
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- 2 tbsp.(30ml) unsalted butter (or substitute garlic spread)
- 1 large red onion fine diced
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in the oven and roast until tender and lightly caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl.
- If using frozen butternut squash, cook to package directions.
- While squash is roasting, in a skillet finely coat with a thin layer of olive oil, add the diced onions, sage, and salt to season.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring regularly, until onions are fully browned and caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan cook bacon slices until they are crisp. Remove the bacon and drain off all fat and set aside.
- Once squash has cooled use a fork to mash, add caramelized onions and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread butter or garlic spread on the top side of both slices of bread.
- In a skillet warmed on medium heat, place one slice of D’Italiano® Italian Style Grain Bread, butter side down, top with butternut squash mixture, three slices of bacon and two slices of provolone cheese.
- Top with second slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Use spatula to flip sandwich once bread begins to brown and cheese begins to melt. Cook second side until browned and toasted and cheese if fully melted.
- Repeat procedure until all sandwiches are completed.
- Slice and enjoy!