Pasta & Meatball Meat Loaf Sandwich
Pasta and Meatballs on a sandwich? The famiglia is sure to fall in love with these!
- 3 D’Italiano® Original Sausage Buns
- ½ cup dried mini penne pasta
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup garlic butter
- 1 cup store bought pasta sauce, warmed
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- Fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Toasted bread crumbs
- 2 D’Italiano® Original Sausage Buns
- 1 tbsp. melted butter
- Garlic Butter
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 3 tbsp. fresh basil
How to make
- 1 Preheat oven to 375° degrees F. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Rinse and cool completely. Half the sausage rolls lengthwise; set aside.
- 2 In a large skillet cook onions, bell peppers, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender.
- 3 In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, 2/3 cup of toasted bread crumbs, salt, and Italian seasoning. Using your hands, fold in ground beef, cooked pasta, ¼ cup of Parmesan cheese, and cooked vegetables. Form into six 6x3-inch oblong loaves. Place in a shallow baking dish. Baked, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the loaves reads 160°F.
- 4 Spread the split rolls with the garlic butter and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Top each toasted roll with warm pasta sauce and a mini meat loaf. Sprinkle with shaved Parmesan cheese, remaining toasted bread crumbs, and freshly snipped parsley.
- Toasted Bread Crumbs Tear each sausage roll into pieces and place in a food processor or blender. Blend until the crumbs are coarse. In an 8-in skillet, toast bread crumbs in melted butter over medium heat until lightly browned. Remove 2/3 cup to add to the meat loaf mix. Use remaining crumbs to top the meat loaves.
- Garlic butter In a small skillet cook garlic and dried basil in butter until garlic is tender.