Pan Fried Feta
Quick and easy appetizer to serve when entertaining at home.
- 1 loaf of D’Italiano® Thick Slice 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 1/3 cup of Bread crumbs
- 10 oz to 12 oz. block of Feta Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. of Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. of Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 5 tbsp. of olive oil
- 3 tbsp. of chopped basil
- ½ cup of chopped sundried tomatoes
- 2 tsp. of lemon zest
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 -1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
How to make
- Place the dried-out loaf of D’Italiano® in a food processor and pulse until breadcrumbs are formed.
- Start by making the hot honey. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl or jar and set aside.
- Next prepare the Feta. Take a block and gently lay on a plate. Pat dry with a paper towel. In a medium bowl, mix breadcrumbs and seasonings (garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper) together.
- Warm olive oil in a skillet or pan on medium high heat. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg together. Dunk the entire block of feta in the egg wash. Then quickly place it into the breadcrumb mixture. Ensure that all sites of the feta are covered.
- Once the olive oil is hot, turn the heat to medium and place the feta in the oil. Cook for about 3-5 minutes on each side or until the breadcrumbs are brown and crispy.
- Remove from heat and place the feta on a serving dish while it’s still warm. Drizzle the hot honey over the cheese before adding basil, tomatoes, lemon zest and juice. Serve with your favourite D’Italiano® loaf.