White Pizza Sauce Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese has never looked this good!
- 4 D’Italiano with Gusto!™ Brioche Style Thick Sliced Loaf
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. White sauce (more for serving if desired)
- 4 slices cooked bacon
- 2 tbsp. ricotta
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 spinach spinach
- sprigs basil
- White Sauce
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1 dash ground pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
How to make
- 1 Begin by melting butter in a medium saucepan or low heat. Add the flour, stirring with a fork until the mixture is thick and pasty.
- 2 Turn up the heat to medium-low and then slowly add in the milk whisking it all together, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- 3 Add the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Allow your sauce to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it has thickened.
- 4 Stir in the freshly grated parmesan cheese until melted and well incorporated. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. Add a little more milk it need be.
- 5 Butter the outside slices of the D’Italiano® Gusto!™ Brioche Style Bread
- 6 Place ¼ cup of mozzarella on the inside slice of each piece of bread, 1 tbsp. of white sauce, 1 tbsp. of ricotta on top of both pieces of mozzarella.
- 7 Add bacon, spinach, basil and the additional slice of bread.
- 8 Place a frying pan over medium heat with the remaining butter. Place the sandwiches in the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on both sides or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Slice in half and serve with some additional white sauce for dipping if you choose.