Spicy Chickpea Veggie Burgers with Jalapeño and Zucchini
- 4 D’Italiano® Brizzolio Soft Rolls
- 1.5 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 15 oz. canned chickpeas drained + rinsed
- ⅓ cup finely diced bell pepper (any color)
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1-2 tbsp. green onion (white + green portions)
- ½ tbsp. avocado oil
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- Leafy green lettuce of choice for topping
- For The Slaw:
- 1 heaping cup cabbage finely chopped/shredded
- ½ tbsp. honey
- ½ tbsp. avocado oil
- juice of 1 lemon or to taste
- A pinch of salt
- Fresh cilantro, optional
- For The Sriracha Aioli
- ⅓ cup of vegenaise or regular mayo
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tbsp. Sriracha or to taste
- ⅛-¼ tsp. garlic powder
How to make
- 1 Combine ingredients for the aioli and whisk. Set aside.
- 2 For the slaw, combine all ingredients and adjust to taste. Set aside.
- 3 Combine oats and chickpeas in food processor and pulse a few times to roughly chop the chickpeas and oats. Mixture should look chopped but not be paste-like or wet/mushy. Set aside.
- 4 Remove the stem from the jalapeño. For spicier burgers, leave the veins and seeds intact. For less spicy burgers remove half or all of the veins/seeds.
- 5 Grate the zucchini using the coarse side of a box grater and wrap in a paper towel. Squeeze out excess moisture and set aside.
- 6 Sauté bell pepper, jalapeño, zucchini and green onion in avocado oil until peppers are tender and season with garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and salt. Add the freshly sautéed veggies to your bean mixture, then add your egg. Stir to fully incorporate and roll mixture into four balls.
- 7 To shape your burgers, cup each ball in your hands and squeeze tightly, rotating as you gently, but firmly, press it into a disc using your thumb.
- 8 Pour a tbsp. or two of oil in a skillet and heat to medium-high, and cook each burger patty for a few minutes on each side until you're left with a golden crust. Repeat for each burger, or cook two at once if you have a big enough pan.
- 9 Spread the sriracha mayo onto your D’Italiano® Brizzolio Soft Rolls pile them high with lettuce, and top each burger with honey-lime slaw and your favorite toppings. Enjoy!