2 H. 20 Min.
2 H. 35 Min.
- For the Pork:
- 1 pounds (8.16kg) quality pork belly
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) salt
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 ½ tbsp. (22ml) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp. (5ml) finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. (5ml) crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) vegetable oil, for sautéing
- ½ cup (120ml) vegetable broth
- For the Pesto Mayo
- 1 cup (240ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Sandwich:
- 4 slices of D’Italiano® Sesame Seed Bread , or
- D’Italiano® Sesame Seed Bread Duo Pack
- 2 cups (480ml) baby arugula (or substitute baby spinach)
- 1 peeled medium red onion, finely sliced
How to make
- For the Pesto mayo:
- 1 In a medium size bowl whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, basil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 Leave in the refrigerator until ready to assemble sandwiches. TIP: Mayo can be stored in the refrigerator and used for up to 5 days.
- For the Pork belly:
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
- 2 Lay pork belly skin side up and score the skin about ½ inch deep and 1 inch apart. Rub both sides generously with the garlic, rosemary, sage, lemon zest, crushed red pepper flakes (optional) and sprinkle with salt. Roll up the belly and tie it with twine to secure it.
- 3 Place pork belly in a roasting pan. Pour ½ cup vegetable broth into the bottom of the pan. Roast the pork for about 2.5 to 3 hours until internal temperature is 145°F (63°C). Baste with pan drippings a few times throughout cooking.
- 4 Once internal temperature is reached continue roasting at higher temperature of 475°F until the skin is crispy (about 40 minutes).
- 5 Remove from heat and let cool before slicing into ½ inch thick slices.
- For the Sandwich:
- 1 Lightly toast D’Italiano® Sesame Seed Bread (stove top in a skillet or in the toaster).
- 2 Spread pesto mayo on both top and bottom slices.
- 3 Spread pesto mayo on both top and bottom slices.
- 3 Layer bottom slice with sliced porchetta then top with red onion and arugula before topping with your top slice of bread.
- 4 Slice and indulge!