D’Italiano® Italian Meatball Sub
1 H. 10 Min.
- For the meatballs
- 1 lb(454g) lean ground beef, or substitute lean ground turkey
- ½ cup (120ml) saltine crackers, crushed
- ¼ cup (60ml) low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) dried parsley flakes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. (10ml) dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp. (2.5ml) garlic powder
- ½ tsp. (2.5ml) salt
- 1 tsp.(5ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp.(5ml) dried basil
- ¼ tsp.(1.25ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup (180ml) all-purpose flour, to sprinkle
- For the sauce
- 28 oz (828ml) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ tsp. (7.5ml) dried basil
- 1 ½ tsp. (7.5ml) dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. (5ml) granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. (2.5ml) garlic salt
- For the sandwiches
- 5 D’Italiano® 100% Whole Wheat Sausage Buns
- 10 slices Provolone cheese, or substitute sliced mozzarella cheese
How to make
- For the Meatballs:
- 1 Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- 2 In a large bowl combine all ingredients for the meatballs EXCEPT for the ground meat.
- 3 Stir the combined ingredients and then let rest for 10 minutes until the crackers soak up the liquid.
- 4 Add the ground meat and mix until just combined, making sure not to over mix.
- 5 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Form 15 equal sized meatballs, slightly larger than the size of golf balls, and gently sprinkle with flour to lightly coat all around.
- 6 Place the meatballs separated on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked, with an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
- 7 While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce.
- For the sauce:
- 1 In a saucepan add all ingredients for the sauce and stir to combine. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- 2 When the meatballs are finished cooking, remove any excess fat from the bottom of the meatballs and place in the heated sauce.
- For the Sandwiches:
- 1 Preheat oven to broil.
- 2 Open D’Italiano® 100% Whole Wheat Sausage Buns and layer both sides of the inside of the bun with cheese.
- 3 Place on the middle rack in the oven and broil on high for 2 minutes or until buns are toasted and cheese is melted.
- 4 Place 3 meatballs on each toasted bun, top with a large spoonful of sauce. Serve immediately.