Tarts D'Italiano !
Recipe by Jessica R.
Ingredients:4 thick slices D'Italiano bread
1/4 cup egg whites
1 teaspoon milk
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup shredded light Havarti cheese
6 green asparagus spears
6 white asparagus spears
1 sweet red pepper, sliced
2 large cloves garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Butter or margarine for cooking
Directions:Asparagus and peppers bring a wonder color and flavor to this Monte Cristo. Egg whites, vegetables, and light cheese make this a healthy on the classic sandwich. Makes 2 sandwiches. Prep + cook time: approx 30-40 minutes.
1) Break off woody bottom of spears. Break asparagus into tips and stems. Tips should be just slightly wider than bread
2) Slice up red pepper to same size as tips
3) Peel garlic and slice in half.
4) Toss tips, stems, pepper and garlic in olive oil, then spread out on foil lined baking sheet.
5) Broil vegetables on top rack of oven for 10 minutes (turning once)
6) While broiling, butter bread and divide half the shredded cheese on one side
7) Remove broiled veggies, and reduce oven to 375.
8) Put hot veggies on cheese-- red pepper on the left, green asparagus tops on right, and white asparagus tops in middle-- then top with remaining cheese. Reserve asparagus stems.
9) Mash up roasted garlic, and spread on inside of top slice of bread
10) Put top slice of bread on. This will start to melt the cheese.
11) Grease a glass baking dish just large enough to hold sandwiches
12) Whisk egg whites, milk, salt and cayenne pepper until combined and bubbles appear. No need for peaks.
13) Heat a non-stick pan to medium. Melt butter or margarine.
14) Dip sandwiches in egg mixture until just moistened, then add to frying pan.
15) Fry 1 minute per side, until egg-white wash is just starting to get golden and crisp
16) Move sandwiches to baking dish, and cook on middle oven rack for 15-20 minutes. Sandwiches are done when golden, dry and crisp and cheese is melted.
17) Allow to cool for a couple minutes before cutting. Cut against the vegetables, so each half has all three flavors. Serve with side of asparagus stems.
® WESTON BAKERIES LIMITED, TORONTO, CANADA M8Z 1T3, LICENSEE OF THE TRADEMARKS © 2011